Tipico signs deal with USA Today Group
In a 5-year deal worth over $100M announced on Tuesday, German-based Tipico will be Gannett’s exclusive sports betting and iGaming provider. Gannett will have the right to acquire up to 4,990 common shares in Tipico’s US business and will provide it with exclusive access to premium marketing assets, focused on integrating custom content for the USA Today Network.
Gannett, a Virginia-based media holding company, is the largest newspaper chain in the United States,. To punters, Gannet is most known by its USA TODAY Sports division and the USA Today NETWORK. It covers local papers published in 46 states and over 200 sports websites consisting of more than 250 daily local sites including The Indy Star and Detroit Free Press.
Product integrations are expected to begin this August at the start of the NFL season. season. USA TODAY Sports Media Group audiences across digital platforms will experience new integrations powered by Tipico Sportsbook’s betting odds on digital sites. For residents in Colorado and New Jersey, where Tipico operations will be live this fall, readers will experience a seamless integration to Tipico’s Sportsbook.
Visitors to any other USA TODAY Sports Media Group sites will find a listing of sports betting odds and sports betting content, as well as iGaming, free-to-play games, and sweepstakes. In addition, readers of USA TODAY and many local print newspapers within the USA TODAY NETWORK will find Tipico betting odds within the Sports section.
Gannett Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Michael Reed, said:
“Our highly engaged audience of more than 46 million sports fans crave analysis, betting insights, odds, and unique features which we will provide with our Tipico alliance. Tipico adds incredible expertise from their European operations and next-generation product capabilities, which offer our sports enthusiasts and local consumers a way to become even more invested in the games and sports they care about.”
Some of the highlights of the deal are:
- Tipico will become the exclusive sports betting and iGaming provider for Gannett, with the integration of odds, props, free-to-play games, and betting trends across the USA TODAY NETWORK.
- The five-year agreement includes $90 million in media spend by Tipico together with performance incentives payable to Gannett for customer referrals.
- Subject to certain conditions being met over the five-year term of the agreement, Gannett will have the right to acquire up to 4,990 common shares in Tipico’s US business, representing a minority interest. The exercise of such right will be subject to applicable laws including applicable gaming regulations.
- Gannett will provide Tipico exclusive access to premium marketing assets at a pre-negotiated value based upon the expected aggregate sum of the cash consideration, performance incentives, and right to acquire common shares.
- These assets will focus on integrating year-round custom content across the USA TODAY NETWORK, including video series, columns, blog posts, newsletters, contests, social media and events, beginning with the 2021 NFL season.
- Additionally, Tipico will co-brand all NFL Wire Team sites and For The Win, including a re-launch of the Bets subsection to “Bet For The Win, powered by Tipico Sportsbook” and providing co-branded digital odds pages throughout the USA TODAY NETWORK, in print and digital.
Tipico U.S. Chief Executive Officer Adrian Vella, said:
“We are thrilled to gain exclusive access to Gannet’s portfolio of iconic brands and premium digital properties. Integrating their leading media properties with Tipico Sportsbook marks an important moment as we begin our acceleration in the U.S. Gannett’s best-in-class editorial operations and massive local footprint, partnered with Tipico’s game-changing technology, including end-to-end proprietary sports betting and iGaming products, will offer U.S. fans a slam dunk combination.”
Tipico Vice President of U.S. Business Development and Strategy Stephen Krombolz, said:
“This historic agreement with Gannett, one of the most trusted names in global news, media, and sports, will immediately bring additional credibility and trust to Tipico Sportsbook’s U.S. operations. These assets will serve as a key component of our North American marketing strategy, driving awareness of the Tipico brand and our products among Gannett’s millions of readers, viewers, and listeners, ultimately delivering fantastic acquisition and retention opportunities as we prepare to scale rapidly in the U.S.”
Go to Source